Kaleidoscope welcomes Aldis Rauda as Director of Industrial Design and Product Development, Jihoon Kim as Industrial Designer, and Jennifer Bae as Junior Industrial Designer!
Aldis’ educational profile includes the University of Latvia, and most recently the California College of the Arts where he earned his Bachelor Industrial Design degree in 2000. His work experience includes being an Industrial Designer at IDEO, Pottery Barn, Fuseproject and most recently Aldis was the Director of Design for Boombang in Los Angeles. He’s extremely talented and experienced in creative ideation and problem solving, computer modeling and visualization, visual communications and presentations, and iterative prototyping and model making.
1. Full name: Aldis Rauda
2. Job title and department: Director of Industrial Design and Product Development
3. Where were you born? Latvia
4. Favorite vacation spot? Always looking for a next favorite, but a few places have left me feeling vacationed: Cinque Terre – Italy, Phi Phi Island – Thailand, Maui – Hawaii, Jurmala – Latvia, Northern California – US.
5. What movie could you watch fifty times in a row? 2001 A Space Odyssey, The Wall, Pulp Fiction would be ok
6. If you could travel back in time where and when would you go? I’d rather travel into the future, but it would be interesting to visit Italy during the Renaissance or Southern Europe in the Bronze Age.
7. What inspires you? Nature, natural creations, things sub-atomic and cosmic
8. What made you want to come to Kaleidoscope? New energy
Jihoon’s educational profile includes a BFA Industrial Design from the Massachusetts College of Art & Design in Boston and most recently he earned his Master Degree from Art Center College of Design in Pasadena. His experience includes internships with K2L, Adjunct Professorship at the Massachusetts College of Art & Design for Alias Surface Modeling, and freelance contract work for Product Insight in MA and Avery Dennison in CA. He’s a very talented designer with exceptional drawing and storyboarding skills, computer modeling and visualization, visual communications and presentations, and iterative prototyping and model making.
1. Full name: Jihoon Kim
2. Job title and department: Industrial Designer
3. Where were you born? Seoul Korea.
4. Favorite vacation spot? Tokyo Japan
5. What movie could you watch fifty times in a row? Seven
6. If you could travel back in time where and when would you go? High school 1996. Long Island, NY
7. What inspires you? Ideas… crazy ideas 🙂
8. What made you want to come to Kaleidoscope? People
Jenny has just graduated, having earned a BFA Industrial Design from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She has been involved in the Student Chapter of IDSA, along with freelance projects with individual and group collegiate programs, educational and instructional events and competitions. Not only can she draw, digitally render and make models, but she can sew and weld!
Full name: Jennifer Bae
Job title and department: Junior Industrial Designer
Where were you born? Illinois
Favorite vacation spot? Haven’t really gone anywhere for vacation so probably have to say… Chicago! But if I had to pick a place that I would love to visit, it would be the Bahamas.
What movie could you watch fifty times in a row? Mighty Joe Young and Lion King
If you could travel back in time where and when would you go? I would travel back in time to when Neil Armstrong landed on the moon and I would want to be on the moon with him… if that was possible.
What inspires you? People I meet and life experiences
What made you want to come to Kaleidoscope? To be honest, it was the emotional response I got when I saw the website. I don’t know how to describe it, but it was very simple and fun and it made me want to be apart of it. Then, I would have to say the culture and warm presence I received from the people. 🙂